Once upon a time, there were two women, Dana from New Hampshire and Mary from Indiana. They met and became friends in San Diego, and soon decided to embark together on a journey to Southeast Asia, seeking adventure. This is their story.

Friday, April 30, 2010

Yo, are you out there?


(our third roommate)

Mary and Dana: We need some comment love, people. We miss you, and we like to see your words. Even if it's a hello or whatev.

So, leave us some comments. Just click on the comment link at the bottom of the post and proceed :)

Dana: As I sit here in the internet cafe a fan oscillates hot air around the room giving a false impression of relief from the damp, thick air. The sound of water rushing over a fall is in reality the heavens opening and a drenching rain pouring down with thunderous booms and the occasional flash of lightening. This rain brings a slight coolness to the air, but with it also comes humidity. I'm learning to embrace the feeling of sweat dripping down my back and in between my boobs. I tell myself I better be releasing impurities from my body with all this sweat in order to keep my sanity in this heat.

In yoga class here on Koh Phangan before we practice our asanas (yoga poses) we do a series of warming exercises. One exercise involves digging your thumb into a specific spot on your belly located below the breast bone in a clockwise, then counter-clockwise direction. "This may be particularly uncomfortable and even painful for those of you that have a lot of toxins or have been under stress in your life," our teacher explains to the class. When doing this exercise I experience a good deal of discomfort, but despite the pain I find myself smiling, I smile because of the memories that flicker in and out of my conscious mind. Memories with friends, moments in Mexico, the Parrot, tequila and Sunday night rituals. "Oh wait I'm lost my focus, I'm not thinking about what I should be," I say to myself. This process of learning to quiet the conscious is quite challenging for me, for I do not have a strong practice in meditation. My mind is of a crazy monkey that jumps around erratically, leaping from one vine to the next with no real direction or idea where it is going. Here at Agama, through daily practice I am learning how to grab this crazy monkey by the hand and kindly ask it to chill the @#*& out and let me focus on one point of concentration. My monkey has its moments, but I have faith.

Alright, that was my best effort to sound like a writer worthy of publishing something on the internet that the whole world can read (yeah, I know the whole world is reading our blog, hah *smile*)

Today is day 11, but it feels like we've been gone for at least a month, not in a bad way of course. It feels like my life in San Diego is worlds away and it actually is; how quickly I've become used to not frequenting the Bird and riding the Madwagon. I miss my cliff runs and the friends that I spend time with. San Diego is a place I frequently refer to as "paradise", so it is weird coming to a place that is oozing with beauty in a whole new class. The yoga center we attend for hours a day is located on the tropical blue ocean and our classroom feels like it is in the center of the jungle. The walls are screens on three sides with the fourth made of cement. During lecture the sound of a gecko lizard still causes me to giggle to myself , it literally sounds like it is saying "gecko" (you must experience this if you haven't already). My monkey mind is often whisked away from lecture distracted by the sounds of nature. A bullfrog flairs its throat, the chatter of exotic whistling birds, the hum of crickets that can drown out the sound of the teacher create the jungle music I have become to love. I'm in the bush and it's amazing!!

I've been having a superb time with my bosom buddy Mary. We have been learning so much about life, ourselves and how to make living with each other in a one-bedroom sharing one bed most enjoyable. I've known Mary for only a year and a half now, but going on the trip with her has brought us so much closer and my love for her only even stronger. She is such a gem and a wonderful companion to travel with, I am blessed to have her here with me. My love for her must be apparent to those that we attend this yoga program with, because we had quite a funny conversation with a fellow named Teo. Yesterday during our morning tea our new friend Teo asked if could ask us a personal question. As he scrambled for the right wording and stumbled in his Australian accent, he formulated the question inquiring if Mary and I were in a partnership or just friends. We both looked at each other and burst into laughter. I guess the tiger balm shoulder massage I gave Mary in class and the frequent sightings of us both riding on a motor bike with our arm around each other may have given some the idea we were lovers. Ohhh how hilarious that moment was...still makes me laugh now. Last night as we lay in our king-size bed in our new bungalow home propped up against pillows reading our books we both spontaneously giggled. "Are you laughing because we're like a couple reading in bed together?" I asked. "Yes exactly," Mary replied. "Yes."

Here is a short little poem Mary and I enjoyed from a book given to us by a friend here that I wanted to share with you:

The Happy Virus

I caught the happy virus last night

When I was out singing beneath the stars.

It is remarkably contagious--

So kiss me.

--Hafiz



(we're definitely lovers now *wink*)




Liz--when Mary and I were at the Full Moon Party a few of the booming sound systems were pumping out "Lizzy Music" and we danced and laughed saying, "this one's for Liz!!!" We miss you bubby!!


(our fourth roommate)


Alyssa cheers to your beautiful baby bump...Mary pointed this beer out today at the store. Avery is going to be a Leo, right? xoxo

5 comments:

Unknown said...

YES!!! this is hilarious! love you guys! soooo funny about the monkey :) i know all about that little guy!

Unknown said...

WOOOOHOOOOOOO see you in Vietnam! hopefully :)

Unknown said...

yes, I had A beer, and yes, that's all it took :)

Unknown said...

there's avery beer too!! put them together and you get a beautful little girl :-) dana...i could use one of your back rubs right about now. miss you both.

Unknown said...

It looks and sounds like you girls are having a great time. Keep the stories and pictures coming.