Once upon a time, there were two women, Dana from New Hampshire and Mary from Indiana. They met and became friends in San Diego, and soon decided to embark together on a journey to Southeast Asia, seeking adventure. This is their story.

Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Sour cherry pie and a John Deere




East-bound once again, I arrived yesterday at the family farm of my dear friend Kate, in Vermont, where I'm staying for a while. The Asia Adventure has officially concluded, although we'll still be throwing up some final posts with some more of Dana's phenomenal photos. My time with Dana - traveling and living together, massaging each others hands, bickering, hugging, splitting veggie dumplings, doing yoga in cramped hotel rooms, sharing glutinous rice balls, and even, on one occasion, cutting each others hair topless - this time has also concluded.

Dana remains on the west coast, and has a great summer planned. And I'm here on the east, back in the land of clover, thunderstorms, fireflies, cabot cheddar, maple syrup and blueberries on the side of the road. I'm hoping to get a job writing in NYC or Boston. It's a scary and an exciting time. I have no idea what my life will look like in 6 months, or even 3. But I'm so glad that I have the lessons I've learned, traveling with Dana and especially attending Agama. I feel good, at least somewhat more prepared for life, or at least more able to hold on while the roller-coaster dips and weaves.

It's been real guys, thanks for listening.

If you want to keep reading things written by me, and especially if you happen to be, say, the Editor of the New Yorker (dream job), you can check out my website:
www.maryemann.com

Lots of love, Mary

1 comment:

Jacquelyn said...

Hope you are enjoying Vermont! Congratulations on all of your travels and good luck on the job search. Hopefully you can stay near the land of Cabot cheese :)
~Jacquelyn